Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience

hi, i live in the UK and own a (long)leasehold flat with a

hi, i live in the UK and own a (long)leasehold flat with a mortgage, all in my name. I am recently married, and want to know how i would go abouy adding my wifes name to the deeds?
She has no credit problems and is in full time employment
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to help you.
The starting point is to contact the Mortgage Company and ask to add your spouses name to the mortgage
Assuming they will agree then it is simply a matter of completing their forms and instructing a solicitor to deal with the Transfer of the Property into Joint names.
Indeed it is possible that the mortgage company will appoint a conveyancer to deal with this for you(at your expense of course)
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX contact the mortgage company and see if i can get a quote.

Do i need to file any forms etc with the land registry? or will this all be dealt with in the Transfer of Property?

one last question - will there be any stamp duty issues i should be aware of?

many thanks

The forms will form part of the Transfer and will be dealt with by the Conveyancer.
There will be a Land Registry Fee (dependent on the value of the property) and there MAY be stamp duty payable dependent on the amount outstanding on the mortgage but the conveyancer MUST give you a quote that includes these