How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 69175
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if you have committed benefit fraud and gone to prison does

This answer was rated:

if you have committed benefit fraud and gone to prison does the money have to be paid back as well

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What is the amount in the claim?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

£2,269 this was over 30 years ago

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my husband - we were not married at the time, claimed unemployment benefit whilst working and he got caught and went to prison - I think it was for 3 months and at the time was not asked to make any payments. Over the last few years he has received letters from the DWP asking for the money to be repaid.He has ignored them as he did the prison sentence, the debt is now being referred to a solicitor. I just want to know that if a prison sentence was served and it has taken nearly 30 years to ask for this money does it have to be paid


Do you know if there was a compensation order? I suspect not if the conviction was 30 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he did £500 and then served 3 months in prison. He also phoned the DWP 3 years ago to obtain evidence that he still owed this which they were gong to get from the archives but never received anything so as far as my husband was concerned he didn't have to pay

No, sorry.
I meant did the court order compensation? Probably not but just in case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


And has it been paid please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it was paid at the time over a period of months

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He also claimed benefit twice after this incident and was not refused or asked to pay back the £2,269


If he has paid compensation ordered by the criminal courts then there can be no action arising from that.

However, that doesn't mean that they cannot sue in the civil courts although I have to say that if this is 30 years ago its very unlikely that they would and if they did their records wouldn't support it.

If he is on benefits now then they could impose a reduction but if he is not their only option is to sue.

Unfortunately, since this is crowns debt they are not the barred by limitation but generally speaking delay is fatal to legal action as evidence is lost and memories are affected.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No he is not on Benefits now and hasn't been for over 20 years - all I really want to know is that do we have to pay anything back as I don't want it to go to the Solicitors and end up paying court costs and interest on the amount or do we just set up a payment plan to pay it back now


Sorry if i'm sounding a bit niave but is it the DWP that sue the civil courts for the amount owed

They won't do that.

If this is a sum under £10k its a small claims court sum and it will be cheap to sue. You won't end up paying costs.

You do have to repay it if that is the genuine overpayment that they can prove. Whether they can or not is another matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help Jo I think we will wait and see what the Solicitors say before we offer to set up a payment plan as they will need to prove it as my husband has asked for evidence before and not received anything back

It is reasonable to ask for evidence. Of course, overpayments should be repaid but you want to be confident that you do owe that amount.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 69175
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Jo C. and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor