Alex Hughes
Alex Hughes, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 25 years legal experience

We have been contacted by Daniels Sliverman Debt Collection

We have been contacted by Daniels Sliverman Debt Collection company, Acting on behalf of Exclusive Club Malta for none payment of Maintenance Fee for this year,they are requesting £356, we wrote to the club(Nov 2012) offering to relinquish the ownership back to them for no fee. the reply was that for a fee of £1000 they would take it back as we cannot afford this we, could not pay. As our circumstances have changed since we purchased this in 2007, we find that this is a debt we cannot afford, as the maintenance fee's increase every year. Daniel Silveman have rung us at home on several occasions, Please advise as to any possible solution, They have requested on our answer phone that I contact them to day Fri 30 Aug,
Yours Worried
Mr Chris & Mrs Karen Lambert
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex Hughes replied 11 months ago.
My name isXXXXX and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

How much are they seeking at the moment? How much can you afford to pay to be releases from the contract?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

They are requesting £356 this is the cost of this years maintenance fee, But it will be due again in November for next year, they do offer reduced rate for early payment?

We could just afford the £356 without getting in to more Debt than we are all ready , £400 at a push ?

OK and what does the contract say about ending the agreement early?
OK.

Your contract with Club Malta will detail your right to cancel and the appropriate notice period. You need to check the contract because there is normally a penalty to be paid if ending the agreement early. Usually if you cancel before the minimum contract term is up, you'll have to pay an early termination fee and in most cases this can be quite high. Unfortunately, even if cannot pay the maintenance charges, you're unlikely to be able to cancel the contract without paying a penalty - the reason for cancellation is usually immaterial as far as the company is concerned.

I suggest you contact the debt collection company to explain your financial situation. They are unlikely to want to pursue someone who has no money to pay the charges - it obviously costs money to chase debtors and there's no point chasing someone who has no money. I suggest you make a realistic offer based on your circumstances and explain why you cannot pay the sum they're after. Hopefully the company will accept the offer and that should be the end of the matter. However, you should be aware that having entered a legally binding contract they would be within their rights to pursue the full amount due.

Happy to discuss further. Please remember to rate my answer so that I am credited for my time.

Alex
Alex Hughes, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm with 25 years legal experience