Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

Hi My son is 17, passed his driving test on 7/7/13. he was

Hi
My son is 17, passed his driving test on 7/7/13. he was driving back from Liverpool airport and was stopped by the police for speeding. 93.61mph. What is likely to happen to him. He has never been in trouble and is really scared.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will try to help with this.

What was the speed limit please?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

speed limit was 70mph it was on the motorway M62

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.
Thanks.

That does just exceed the fixed penalty arena on the sentencing guidelines. For that reason they could summons him to court. That would lead to either 4 - 6 points or a ban of 7 - 28 days. There will also be a fine of 75-125% of his weekly income, £85 in costs and the victim surcharge of £35 or thereabouts.

Since he is right at the bottom of the sentencing bracket he is likely to get four points. Obviously if he does get six then he will face revocation under the new drivers scheme unfortunately.

All that said, it is only just over the fixed penalty arena and you might well find that they will offer 3 points and a fine. They can do that when it suits them. They might even deal with it by way of a speed awareness course. Its way outside the appropriate bracket but thats another thing they can do when it suits them.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thanks Jo. We will just have to keep our fingers crossed I guess. He is a young county golf player and needs to travel round the country so I cant believe he has done this. Lets hope it will be a shock to him and teach him a lesson without it being too harsh and result in revocation of his licence.

The police officer told him that he would probably get a speed awareness course but I am doubtful when travelling so fast. There was no-one on the motorway and he just didn't realise that his speed had crept up, I suppose that is the lack of experience.

How long will he have to wait to hear anything?

Sorry to leave so much time between replies. I am working at the moment.....

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.
No its fine.

They might give a speed awareness course. They can do that when it suits them.

If he was stopped at scene then they don't need to send out a NIP so you should get the FPN within 28 days.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.