Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

Dear expert Could you advise me on the time limit for a

Dear expert

Could you advise me on the time limit for a client to make a claim against an accountant for a loss due to incorrect advice. No engagement contract was signed. Does the claim have to be made within a certain period of time from the date the loss occurred and if so, what is it? The claim would be relating to 2007.

Thank you

My name isXXXXX and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

Exactly what kind of claim are you proposing to make? When was the incorrect advice given? Did you pay for the service?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The claim relates to VAT. £20,000 was paid to HMRC for late registration to VAT. However, this could have been recouped from the contractor since they are registered for VAT and they could in turn have claimed this back as input VAT so would not have minded paying it. This this advice was not given. It is now out of time limit for this to be done.

This took place in 2007 and yes the service was paid for.

Thank you

Thanks Stephen.

Under s.5 Limitations Act 1980 the time limit for suing for breach of contract is 6 years.

There is some case law where time limits have been extended for exceptional reasons but they relate mainly to personal injury claims.

For contract cases, which this case is, I'm afraid law is that no claim can be brought more than 6 years after the date of the alleged breach occurred.