Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

A company (AA Motor Insurance) says it has set up a Continuous

A company (AA Motor Insurance) says it has set up a Continuous Payment Authority (CPA) with one of my credit cards. Concerned about this and about CPAs more generally, I contacted my credit card company and asked them for a list of companies/organisations that have a CPA set up with my account. But the credit card company replied saying "I appreciate your concern about the Continuous Payment Authority (CPA) set up on your account. Please note that this agreement is made between you and the merchant and we’ll not be able to provide you this information on your account." Is this right? Is the credit card company within it right NOT to provide me such information?

Joshua :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Joshua :

Do you wish to cancel the CPA mandate with AA please?

Customer:

I want to know if I have the right to demand that the credit card company tells me with which companies I have CPA mandates.

Joshua :

Thanks. In deed they do. They are required to disclose any and all information they hold about you and your account under the Data Protection Act

Joshua :

In addition following the introduction of the Payment Service Regulations the bank is also required to cancel any such agreements on your request. They used to be able to tell you it was your problem and did, but no longer.

Joshua :

The point has been made in no uncertain terms by the Financial Conduct Authority:
http://www.fca.org.uk/news/continuous-payment-authorities

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?