Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

How long would be considered reasonable to be informed about

How long would be considered reasonable to be informed about payment from a will to the beneficiaries? What rights does a beneficiary have? if someone has been left a specific item, how long should it be before the executor lets them have it? Should the executor keep beneficiaries informed.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
How long have you been waiting since probate was granted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was granted in February

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
It is not unusual for probate to take six months to be granted and another six months for distribution to take place although, on a simple estate, it could take place in a couple of months or more complicated estate could take a couple of years.
If there is a property involved, and obviously the property has to be sold and that will add an inevitable delay.
The beneficiaries, surprisingly, have very few rights. They don’t actually have a right to see the will although they can get a copy from the probate registry, once it has been admitted to probate, for the payment of 5 pounds.
The beneficiaries do not have any right to see detailed accounts but are entitled to know what the overall money is coming in is and how it has been distributed.
The executor’s duty is extremely loose. They have to act in the best interest of the beneficiaries and I would argue that that included keeping them informed however that would not extend to keeping them up to date on a weekly basis because if it was solicitors dealing with the estate, that would cost money, it serves no purpose with regard to the distribution and if it is costing money, it is not in the best interest of the beneficiaries. However, an update every few months would not be unreasonable.
If the executor is a solicitor, you can make a complaint to the solicitors complaints officer and senior partner and if the executor is not a solicitor and you think that the executor is unnecessarily delaying things, you can threaten an application to court to have them removed as executor.
The Does that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should the executor arrange delivery of an item to beneficiary or is it up to the beneficiary to chase?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
what is the item?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jewelery it was all left to me in the will after death in November and have had no info on how to receive it

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
It would depend on its value and how far you had to travel to get it.
It could be sent by carrier.
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice