A. Valcke
A. Valcke, Solicitor
Experience:  14+ years of experience // LL.B., Maîtrise en Droit, Masters in EU Law, Pg.Dip.L.P.
47098609

Hi Claire, Im trying to get to the bottom of this - I am

Hi Claire,
I'm trying to get to the bottom of this - I am Slovak living in UK for five and a half years now. I would like to get British citizenship for a baby I am expecting. My fiance is not British.
Would my baby get British citizenship even without me having one or residence permit (I am assuming, coming from EU I don't need to apply for one)?
I am also confused about dual citizenship (in my case) - I'd like British citizenship but am afraid I will loose my Slovak one...there is a lot of opinions online about the citizenship policies from 2010 in Slovakia, but I also stumbled across discussions where people (acting as legal advisors and basically people who know what they are talking about) say not to worry - it would be second citizenship...
Thank you for your question.

It appears that my colleague is not able to respond at this time.

Firstly, regarding your child's right to register as a British citizen, this would be dependent on you having settled status. This means that as an EU citizen you must have obtained permanent residence in the UK. In order to prove this, the best option would be to apply for a permanent residence document from UKBA.

As an EU citizen, you would need to demonstrate that you have lived in the UK for at least 5 years and during this time you worked or studied or lived as a self-sufficient person. If you didn't work, you would also need to show you had comprehensive sickness insurance in place.

Secondly, to acquire British citizenship by naturalisation, as an EU citizen you would first need to have acquired permanent residence and then have lived a further year in the UK.

The UK allows you to hold dual nationalities. However, since 2010 Slovakia abolished the possibility of dual citizenship for its citizens who voluntarily acquire a foreign nationality. Regrettably, this would mean that you would lose your Slovakian nationality if you were to naturalise as a British citizen. While there are plans to change the law, the parliament has yet to change the law.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards

A. Valcke

Hello again,

I forgot to add that you can find out more about applying for permanent residence here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/documents-eea-nationals/applying/

The application form you would need is EEA3 and there is a fee of £55.00.

Good luck!

A. Valcke