Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

can i make a complaint against my ex partner for physical and

can i make a complaint against my ex partner for physical and emotional damage
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my ex partner and i have split up for 8 years on and off due to our children being in care all this time hes hurt me physically calling me names which put me right down one min says he loves me but then hates me i feel like he used me he violated me im depressed and confused and screwed up i cannot get on with my life because he has damaged me that much i cant trust anyone if i ever find anyone else he has tormented me with pics of girls hes suppose to be sleeping with hes making my life hell what can i do can i sue him or something i cant carry on like this anymore.

In what way did he hurt you physically and when?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there was a domestic abuse in 2007 where he hit me punched me kicked me when i was preganant with my 4th and even on going abuse when we been on and off i tried to keep away but he had a way of getting to me my head is all screwed up by everything i dont know where or who to turn at moment hes controlling who or where i go i ve had enough police been involved always have but we seem to make up then break up coz he gets to me but now hes put an allegations where i harrasment him which is true because im having a go at him for things hes doing wrong like grooming girls of internet police have been involved then he uses my 2 children to claim child benefit when they dont live with him benefit fraud team have been involved but this morning he text me accusing me of more threats etc when i havent done anything since receiving warning from police he threathening me saying im paying the price i ve not not thing wrong but look out for my children

You can report this to the police.

However, most of what you describe is a relationship issue. It may well be unacceptable conduct but its for you to regulate. The police would not be able to take action over things like name calling as thats not an offence.

Acts of violence are offences of course. However, if they are more than six months old then they are out of time for a prosecution for common assault. It might well be that the injuries exceed common assault but you have to prove that or you would be time barred.

Also, unfortunately if you make an allegation subsequent to him making a report about you of harassment then he will seize upon that and say it is a revenge complaint. That doesn't mean you cannot succeed but its an obvious point for him to take.

You may still be able to get injunctions from the family courts but you will have to show more recent acts of wrongdoing on his part. You might be able to do so but that is the test.

I'm very sorry if this is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo