Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I arrived to UK recently and rented a flat one month ago.

I arrived to UK recently and rented a flat one month ago. The flat is provided with media plugs for land ,sattelite and Internet. The Sky TV provider engineer that came to set up the Sky TV informed me that this is is not possible because the media infrastructure is not operative. We removed the plug sheets to check what was wrong. The coaxial cable inside the wall is just not wired to the plug.The sky engineer informed that the company has no permission to wire the coaxial cable and that this is entirely of the landlord responsibility. The cabe connection requires an expert work.
It is amulti function transmission cable and is connected to the communal main cable. besides I was advised by the engineer to not do any modification on system. The state agency states that the landlord has no kind of responsibilities on the matter and I if want to get the TV transmission I must connect the cable to the plug at my one expenses.
Please advice on the subject.
Ricardo Gomes

Joshua :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Joshua :

May I ask did the agent or landlord inform you that the property benefitted from sattellite provision please?

Joshua :

Is there any reference to the same in the tenancy agreement you signed?

Customer:

Not in explicit way. I just look for

Customer:

not in an explicit way. The tenant agent just show me the apartment.

Customer:

Not in an explicit way. I just looked and said that it was good to have all the media access. Nre

Customer:

n

Customer:

not in

Customer:

mo

Customer:

no refrenv

Customer:

norefers no

Customer:

no

Customer:

there is no reference on a

Customer:

there is no reference on the agreement. during the visit I just look and said thta

Customer:

tt

Customer:

nothat atento

Customer:

nonane

Customer:

no.

Customer:

no

Customer:

No. Nonane

Joshua :

Thanks.

Customer:

No. No one

Customer:

no

Customer:

No. Thy

Customer:

No. No one inform me.

Joshua :

Unfortunately there is nothing in statutory law that requires the landlord to provide a television aerial or sattellite connection. It is for the landlord and tenant to come to a private arrangement in this respect.

Joshua :

If the agent had advised you that the property was provided with a sattellite connection then there would be a basis to insist that provide such a connection. You would need to evidence that they did so confirm as such.

Customer:

No . No one inform me explicitly.during the visit with the agency I just look and informed that I was pleased to hv

Joshua :

There is provision in the Supply of Goods and Services Act that appliances and services the landlord provides myst be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. However this does not extend to connections that are not explictly stated to be provided with the property however.

Customer:

No. No one informed me in an explicit way. I just look to the plugs and confirmed thta

Customer:

No. No one informed me

Customer:

noexpel icon

Joshua :

It is up to the tenant to satisfy himself as to the suitability of the property before he rents and confirm any connections are workding either by testing them or by asking the landlord or agent for a specific confirmation that they are.

Joshua :

You may however be able to correct the issue yourself relatively inexpensively by asking a handyman or if you feel it is a complex job asking a private TV and sattellite installer to attend to look at the issue. They will often only charge circa £50 or so to carry out a simple job which is an unwelcome cost but could resolve the issue potentially for you.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

No . No one informed me. I just look to the plugs and confirmed that the services the flat was prepared to have TV. Please not that I don't have any kind of TV access now. Not even cable. The trab

Joshua :

If the agent confirmed the flat had TV connections and does not then this is a misrepresentation and you can insist the landlord provides the same.

Joshua :

If the landlord refuses to provide it then you can consider installing a TV connection and claiming the cost from the landlord.

Joshua :

You would need to be able to show on the balance of probability that the agent confirmed that the flat had TV service.

Joshua :

If you can show the and the landlord refuses to pay the cost of the TV connection you can claim the same back through the courts if necesary using the courts online issuing service:

Joshua :

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify or assist you with any further?

Customer:

No. No one informed me . I just looked and checked that the apartment was prepared for TV transmission. please not that I don't have any other access to TV transmission besides this one. Not even land cable transmission. The agreement is general and without details. The flat user guide mentions that the flat is prepared for satellite TV and that it is just required to plug the TV and Waite for the channel automatic search.

Joshua :

Thanks. If you confirm that the agent advised you the flat had TV connection and that the flats user guide that you inspected when before you rented the flat so confirmed it had TV provision you can insist the landlord provides the same as above.

Customer:

I just inspected the flat user guide after the problem and to check the motive of the lack of signal. During the visit with the letting agency the issue was not discussed. I just looked and confirmed thta

Joshua :

I believe I have outlined the steps you can take. I hope you are able to read my posts. I wish you all the best with resolving the situation and trust the above steps are of use.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Joshua
Unfortunately things are more complicated. I don't have access to
telephone too and now I'm not sure that the problem would be solved just by doing the cable connection to the plug. It seems that the cables may be as well disconnected outside of the flat. The extent of the problem is not clear and without the cooperation of the landlady this can't be solved. And that has just not been possible to get.

Thank you for the legal support .

Kind regards

Ricardo

I am sorry for the delay in reverting to you.

I hope you find a practical solution to connect up your equipment, be it through the internet or a new aerial or satellite connection.