How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 30645
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I have a temporary residence order for my children.

Resolved Question:


I have a temporary residence order for my children. I got it in April 2009. My ex-partner is an alcoholic and they were unsafe in her care. They were 1 and 3 at the time and we had recently split up. They have lived with me ever since and have at times had some contact with their mum. When she has been sober and seemingly getting on well I have allowed them to stay with her overnight sometimes. The temporary order was due to go back to court in June 2009 but my ex withdrew her claim and has made no attempt to apply for a new order since. I am assuming that the order is still in place and that I still have residency? She has sobered up again in the last few weeks and has a new boyfriend. Her last boyfriend turned out to be unhinged to say the least. I know nothing about this present boyfriend and am not happy to let them see her and certainly not whilst he is there and definitely not overnight. In 2009 the Judge basically said that I would be in charge of contact and it was up to me when she should see them. I know this is a bit incoherent but I am just worried. The children are really happy and well balanced, happy in school, etc. After having them so long, could she try and get them back. PS She was convicted of drunk driving again last November. Any ideas? Thank you, Damien
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question
I shall do my best to assist you but I need some further information first
Looking at the Order does it actually say that it has an end date? (I would not expect it to)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Claire

No, it says "The children (names and dates of birth) shall reside with the Applicant father Damien Rryan until further order.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Then that means exactly what it says - the children live with you unless and until the court says something else - which they are unlikely to do unless they are no longer safe with you (also unlikely)
So far as contact is concerned you have clearly been reasonable and so long as you continue to be reasonable there is nothing to worry about.
If she continues to stay sober then you may wish to establish a regular pattern of contact using Family Mediation
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further information
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 30645
Experience: family solictor with 25 years experience
Clare and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Claire


Just one last thing, with regard to her present boyfriend, is there such a thing called 'Sarah's law' (I think) which allows me to check on ex partner's boyfriends/girlfriends with the police before I allow them to have contact with my children?



Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
You can read more about Sarahs Law here

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: