Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

stupidly was drunk in supermarket bought food which i paid

stupidly was drunk in supermarket bought food which i paid for. went back to get an iphone charger was on my way out of shop and security stopped me went into a panic left the charger and ran out of shop. next day felt so bad went back in to apologise and they said police is involved now since i ran away. Just waiting to hear from them. I have never shoplifted before was very drunk and no idea what i was thinking. What will happen
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Is the allegation that you tried to steal the charger? Was it recovered?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Charger was left in shop. When i went back to apologise they said was in the hands of police now since i ran away. I am banned from shop till they see what police say. Police were supposed to contact me yesterday but not heard from them.

Thanks.

Your drunkenness at the time of the alleged offence is unlikely to give you a defence. You clearly knew you had to pay for the original goods. And you had enough wits about you to go back for the charger.

However, you would have a defence on the basis that you were not acting dishonestly if, in fact, your intention was to pay for the item.

If you admit doing wrong and as this is your first offence the police could give you a Formal Adult Warning. This is recorded as a crime on the Police system but does not involve Court proceedings.

As the Police wish to speak to you about this matter, it would be a good idea to cooperate fully.