Alex Hughes
Alex Hughes, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 25 years legal experience
30932268

hi my name isXXXXX me and my girlfriend

hi my name isXXXXX me and my girlfriend bought our property October 2007, we have just started paying repayments in February 2013 due to been on interest only mortgage for the first 5 years. yesterday she said we were splitting up due to her reason that it was not working. now she's in debt to a store card of £1300.00 which has been received by a debt collection company and a phone bill of 700.00 and due to me not been able to carry the mortgage on myself she is stopping in the property with me as friends paying a mortgage. do her debt affect me in any way or my possessions due to her having any stuff of any value which actually belongs to her.

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex Hughes replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are you her guarantor for any of her debts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Alex thank you for your replay, no the debts are in here names nothing to do with me but I was going to offer to pay them off and she pay me

Its a matter for you whether you want to pay off the debts. If you are going to do this I suggest you get her written agreement that she will repay you. However, the debts you've mentioned are individual debts and her sole responsibility. Only shared debts such as the mortgage become a liability for you. BUT as you share a mortgage and have lived together you are financial associates as far as credit reference agencies are concerned so her bad credit history may affect you. As far as I can see this is probably the best reason to clear the debts - that way you will not be tarnished with a bad credit rating.
Alex Hughes, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm with 25 years legal experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank very much that is really helpful to know that and thank you for your time and advice. that's all I need to know so how do I cancel my account before the charges start due to probably not needing the site again

I will refer this to customer services for you. Please remember to rate my answer so I am credited for my time. Thanks.