How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 9110
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is a share certificate invalid if the holdings with the registrar

Customer Question

Is a share certificate invalid if the holdings with the registrar exceeds that on the certificate. Does this require an indemnity and countersignature given the rigour of countersigning shares exceeding 50k pounds in the United Kingdom????
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just answer.

How did you acquire the shares? Did you purchase them or acquire them through an share issue?

Is this a private limited company?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I acquired them through my late dad. The share is that of barclays plc. I had registered my probate already and have been receiving dividends. In the course of change of name I discovered the discrepancies on the. Certificate.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

Is the discrepancy that you own more shares than the certificate actually states?

The only way of knowing for certain will be to see the share register.

Have you written to the company secretary and asked for an additional certificate?

Do you have proof of your fathers purchase of these shares?

Kind regards