Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I signed an agreemet to be guarantor for my daughter who is

I signed an agreemet to be guarantor for my daughter who is renting a property privately for an initial term of 6 months. She is proving to be unreliable and has only paid two months rent, the second was late and I had to pay it. She has part paid some of the rent for the third month and again she is late. The managing agents of the property agreed a new payment schedule to deal with the arrears which she has failed to keep to. The fourth month's payment is due in 10 days time and it seems she will not have the means to pay this on time either. The 6 months is up in September and I no longer want to be guarantor after the initial 6 months is up. How can I make sure that I do not have any liability as guarantor after this period?
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

If she is subject to an AST then you are only liable for the first period unless you sign a renewal which you obviously will not do.

To make doubly sure though just write to the agents saying that you are no longer willing to underpin her liability as you fear for your position. Send it recorded delivery and keep a copy. If possible email it too.

You can also recover anything you have to pay by suing her although I do realise that isn't really realistic within family relationships.

Can I clarify anything further?

Jo
Hi

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

Can you clarify what an AST is?

Assured shorthold tenancy agreement.