Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice

outdoor advertising on vehicle

good evening sir/madame,

I had a question regarding outdoor advertising on vehicles. Is it legal to have led screens on the side of a van for advertising, if the primary use of the vehicle is delivering goods?

If so, is it legal to have the screens on both sides of the van and what are the restrictions in terms of content being displayed i.e. video/still picture/audio?

Thank you

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason you think this may not be legal please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've read on a few forums that some people have had issues from the council. I am starting a new business and the nature of the business is outdoor advertising. I will be using mobile billboards integrated into vans and will be mainly driving the vans in central London.

I am ready to launch the business in the next three months and have not found much information regarding the legality of this idea.

The vans will be equipped with two large screens one on either side with an additional third screen on the rear to be installed in year two after launch. I have read in one article that adverts which are on moving vehicles are not subject to any restrictions but would like to verify this.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I see your point. Your concern is that of planning

Thats not my area so I'll pass this onto somebody who can help for you. I think he's offline right now but he will pick up soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

I have been asked to look at this for you.

There is no problem putting advertising on the sides of a moving
vehicle, whether on the sides of a van or on one of these triangular type
boards.

However, if you propose LED screens.

I think you will fall foul of the Vehicle Lighting Regulations

schedule 9, part one, subparagraph seven, which says that side
marker illumination must be Amber except when it is within 1 m of the rear of
the vehicle it can be red or in the case of a trailer it can be white when
viewed from the front.

Ultimately, it is VOSA and the police who prosecute these offences
under the Vehicle Lighting Regulations and, Constructions and Use and if you
want to avoid prosecution, I would run this past them. Do it in writing, and
not on the telephone.

That is the only definitive way of getting an answer. I think it
is likely to be negative.

Can I help further?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There existing companies which use digital vans with LED screens, how do you suppose they are operating? companies such as digivans.com

They have full HD screens on the sides

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

Quiet simply because no one has decided to prosecute them yet.

If they were prosecuted it would be for the court to decide if they breached the regs.

It isn't during the day that would be the problem but if the image were illuminated at night. There is also the issue of distraction of other road users.

FANTASTIC idea but a risky investment if you want any guarantee that it wont become illegal.

I would write to VOSA and Chief Constable where you live.

It isnt a council issue if they are delivery vans being driven

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice