Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have been caught last night by police for curb crawling.

I have been caught last night by police for curb crawling. This is the first time I was involved in such thing. They took me in their car and interviewed me and I commited the offence. The police officer told me that you will get a caution and case will be closed. They did not arrest me but gave me a letter to attend the Police Station on 25/07/13. They said it will be 30 min process to take your finger prints and DNA swabs. And you will be cautioned.
My question is that what to expect on 25/07 and is it certain that they will caution me and let me go. Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Can I presume that you do accept the offence please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting for your answer
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

If this is simple kerb crawling alone then it is an offence suitable for a caution. Its fair to say that a short time ago they would not have taken any action at all but unfortunately there have been some high profile cases since then.

All that will happen when you are due to attend is that they will take your prints and DNA and photo. They may interview you or they may just ask you to sign their notes.

They will caution you if you admit the offence.

Can I help further?

Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have signed the notes last night also. I am also concerned that they wrote on the letter that we are investigating the case . Will they be doing any further investigations. Also I had one caution for wrong insurance policy in 2005. Will this impact their decision to charge me for prosecution rather than caution even if the police officer assured me of a caution
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Its not likely they will investigate further. There's no point really as you have admitted the offence and obviously the lady will not give evidence against you.

The fact of a previous caution may discourage them from cautioning you but since its dissimilar its not likely they would not caution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is your suggestion I should be saying on 25/07
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You can only tell the truth or say nothing.

As a rule you should never accept a caution unless there is enough admissible evidence to convict at court. If you admitted the offence at scene though then there isn't much chance if escaping so a caution is a good deal and you may as well admit it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the Police stick to their decision of giving me caution or they can think of something else?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If this is simple kerb crawling alone then it is an offence suitable for a caution

The fact of a previous caution may discourage them from cautioning you but since its dissimilar its not likely they would not
Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.