Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

i am caught in kerb crawlig

i am caught in kerb crawling .police gave me date for investigation.what they will do next?

Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Have you been charged and given a court date?

Do you have a criminal record?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no not charged.police said come to police station on 24th july at 1.30..and we will take dna ,finger prints and pic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i dont have any criminal record.

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Apologies for the delay. I was offline overnight.

The police have three options:

1. They could drop the case if there is insufficient evidence or you have given an explanation for your behaviour. However this is unlikely to happen if they've asked for your f/prints and DNA, the taking of which suggests they plan to take this matter further.

2. If they do not drop the case, they could caution you. This is a formal police warning and does not involve Court proceedings. If you accept the caution it will remain on the police files but nobody else will know anything about it. If you get into any more trouble the police could look at the caution when deciding what to do on the next occasion.

3. If the police do not caution, then you could be charged and taken to court. If you plead guilty or are convicted after a trial the Court could impose a fine. A conviction will result in a criminal record which will be discloseable for 5 years.

Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeh bt at that time he said we will take dna and f prints and then cautionu.and matter will b closed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will they arest me for this?

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
It looks like the police will caution you. This is a formal police warning and does not involve Court proceedings. If you accept the caution it will remain on the police files but nobody else will know anything about it. If you get into any more trouble the police could look at the caution when deciding what to do on the next occasion. They do not need to arrest you to give you a caution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am security guard when sia check my crb will this caution comeup?

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is likely the caution will show up on a criminal record check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not been with any prositute when policestoped me..they said u wad slow driv in red light area.is that enough evidence to charge me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And also how long police will keep record of this caution

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
What were you doing in the area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was coming home from work

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
The caution is 'spent' immediately which means you do not have to tell anyone about it. The law is the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 as amended. However the record will stay with the police for life and they can take it into account in the future if you are arrested for any new crime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But sia i think we have to tell them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does police need enough evidence to give caution?

Expert:  Alice H replied 1 year ago.
To give you a caution the police have to have some evidence that you committed the offence. If they can prove you committed the offence and you admit guilt they can give you a caution. They cannot give you a caution if there is not enough evidence or you do not admit the offence. These conditions must be satisfied first.

Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm