Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law
29905560

Whitney Cooper and Associates Are these people genuine or

Whitney Cooper and Associates Are these people genuine or fraudsters?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Please let me know what is your involvement with them?

Ben Jones :

I am just about to go offline as will be travelling home but I will see your response this evening and reply with my findings later today. thank you for your patience in advance

Customer:

They perport to be acting on behalf of an undisclosed client buying shares that I own in a UK world wide company.

Ben Jones :

Thank you for your patience. This is a scam. It is better known as 'boiler room' fraud and usually involves the sale or transfer of company shares.

The ways in such scams operate are as follows:

• You are contacted, most commonly cold-called, by a company that offers to either sell you new shares or buy existing shares off you. You may even have been the victim of a similar scam in the past and they are offering you a lifeline by telling you they can buy these shares off you and return some of the money you have lost. Often they will be linked to the original fraudsters or your details would have been obtained from publically available shareholder lists.

• If you are selling your shares the scam would involve a request for a payment in advance. This could be for various reasons, such as commission, security, insurance, taxes, etc. None of these would ever be required in real life and you should not have to pay any such fees in advance of the sale.

• You may be asked to pay by bank transfer, although more dubious payment methods such as Western Union or Moneygram may also be used.

The broker is unlikely to be a real and legitimately registered company. They are also commonly working from professionally looking websites, which have been created very recently. This is because they would have only been created for the purpose of the scam and would not last long before being taken down by the authorities.

I have actually been asked to examine this company in the past and did not find anything about the to suggest they were legitimate. They claimed to operate from New York yet they are not registered with the Secretary of State there. They had a website, which now appears to be down, which was registered anonymously and did not link to any legitimate company.

I would certainly not recommend that you deal with them in any way or enter into any financial transactions with them.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or to discuss this with you any further?

Ben Jones :

I hope this has answered your query and would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating - your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you

Ben Jones, Solicitor
Experience: Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law