Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Type your question here. I have a dispute with a lodger, whom

Type your question here.
I have a dispute with a lodger, whom I wish to evict. I am the property owner and the property is my residential address. The lodger has been renting a room since November 2012, and claims he now has the right to stay. Is this true? ,
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Do they have a contract?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They did have a contract, an informal lodgers contract, which indicated a duration of three months. There was no mention of renewal or cancellation or notice, because it was all very informal , as lodgers' contracts often are.

Sorry for the delay. I lost my connection.

If this is a lodgers agreement then you can give notice very easily. The lodger does have a right to stay for the time being but you can bring it to an end easily.

You just need to give reasonable notice - the minimum is 14 days but you should really give her 28 days. You need to do it in written form. There's no need for a S21 notice.

If she doesn't go when the notice expires then you can literally just wait until she goes out, change the locks and leave her belongings for her to collect. You don't need a court order.

Can I help further?
Jo
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To: XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much for your answer. I am extremely glad to have this clear information, with the minimum and advisable period for notice, to be given to the lodger in writing. I did vaguely think this was the procedure, but I wasn't sure, so I am extremely satisfied with your clear and expert advice. Thanks again!

No problem.

Please remember to rate my answer.

All the best.