How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 69165
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I was pulled off fir driving with expired licence and

This answer was rated:


I was pulled off fir driving with expired licence and my car mot was also expired.
How can I get my car back from police car impound?
Can i ask my friend to get temporarily insurance for my car?
How can i prepare for expired mot?

Please help... Very desperate...

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Will the DVLA not issue you a new licence? Or not quickly enough?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I havent contacted to dvla yet.
But I guess it takes longer.
Ok. Thanks. I just need 10 mins to type out an answer if thats ok?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok! I wiill be waiting!!
Thanks for your patience and sorry for the delay. I'm on the ipad and its so slow,

The police will not release the car unless they are satisfied that it will be kept lawfully. That doesn't just mean being road legal to drive from the station but also to be kept afterwards.

Your friend can take out temporary insurance. It is not quite that simple anymore because the police have an obligation to ensure that vehicles are continuously insured. In this circumstance though they will have to think outside the box.

You will find a suitable compnay here

But there are many others.

You can drive lawfully an unMOTed car to a pre booked appointment with a garage for an MOT to be done.

You can recover your licence by reapplying and paying the fee. Expired licences are easy to recover.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 69165
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Jo C. and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



I have contacted the insurance company you gave but they only give insurance to the owner of the vehicle.


I would be happy if you can give another lists of insurance company that I can get some help.

That is a matter of their policy and a view they are entitled to take.

There are other alternatives here



Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im so fed up and sick of how police is doing now.I was refused for my insurance would be invalid.So i contacted the insurance company which you gave and they told me it is not possible to get insurance to third party.They only give insurance only to the car owner.So i transferred my ownership to my friend and got insured.Today i went to car pound and they told me it is unable to transfer ownership when vehicle is impounded.And they asked me to bring full v5 log book.What a non sense!!Everything goes to the begining!!If my friend bring original v5 log book, are they going to release my car?What can i do further??
You didn't ask about the V5 originally but surely you would have that document?

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi jo,

Thank you.

I actually sent another part of v5 to dvla to change ownership.
Before send it i scanned and gave it to my friend but it was refused as well.
They required original copy.
I might be able to find it at home if my friend didnt send it to dvla yet.
Failing that you would have to apply for a copy.

The DVLA will tell you that its up to 6 weeks but they will normally do it within 10 days.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have original v5 which has not been sent yet.
Does this help?
Yes, if you have the v5 documents then you can prove ownership which will be their concern.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


The insurance is the last problem.
As I am the registered keeper, no insurance company give insurance to the third party who is going to drive my car back from police car pound.

Can you please find any other insurance company which can help my situations??

Its not really something I can predict.

You can only contact impound insurers. I know that some of the ones above will sometimes cover third parties. If they won't in your specific situation then that is a position they are entitled to take but its not something I will know about as down to your particular application.

I can find some other impound insurers but I can't guarantee they will cover you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,


I have tried all insurer you gave but failed.

Please give me another list of insurer.


I will try them all.



I'll have a look now. Back in about 10 mins
You could try here

Or here

Or maybe

I don't know why they are refusing to insure you. People get third parties insured to drive cars from impounds all teh time. Maybe you could ask what their objection is?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor