Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
32019188

I sent an email to a small business. In the email I said that

I sent an email to a small business. In the email I said that there product was dodgy, there after sale service was appalling and that I was going to tell my friends not to use them.

I had had a few beers at the time and wasn't thinking clear, but now I'm worried I could be sued for defamation.

I cannot prove that the fault with the item was there fault, but I believe they were aware so I wasn't just having a rant for nothing.

The research I have done seems to suggest that calling there product 'dodgy' is ok as it was in a private email - from me to the company - but I'm not sure about my final statement, that I was going to 'tell my friends not to use them', is this a form of intent to slander or something?

As it happens, I sobered up and didn't speak a word, so no slander has actually taken place.

It has been a week, I have had no reply, I don't know if that is good or bad.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, the email itself does not amount to defamation or slander. If you were to publically tell your friends then it could be assuming it is an untrue statement rather than just an opinion.

They might write to you to ask you to refrain from telling your friends. They will not take legal action as there is no case and it costs tens of thousands of pounds to bring this kind of claim.

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I woudl be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your very prompt response.

This is piece of mind, I've been worrying quite a bit.

Thanks again, and I will refrain from sending emails while inebriated in future

Probably a good idea!! All the best for the future.

I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.