Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
32019188

Are “no win no fee solicitors” not required to update their

Customer Question

Are “no win no fee solicitors” not required to update their clients and send copies of documents to their clients?
1. A clinical negligence case. Held at a county court. Defendant: an NHS Trust. A very strong case. I represented myself. The Trust and I agreed to settle out of court. The case therefore moved to the NHS Litigation Authority (NHSLA). I explained the case to the NHSLA.
2. Because I couldn’t fill in the particulars of claim and the quantum of damages I appointed solicitor (“no win no fee”).
3. I am concerned that the solicitor is not giving me any information on the progress of the case. For example: The NHSLA appointed an expert. The expert produced a report. The report was sent to the solicitor. I’ve asked the solicitor over and over to send me a copy of the report. She has not sent it to me and ignored my request.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jenny Mackenzie replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, the fact that a solicitor is no win no fee would not meant that they should have to provide you a second class service. You have a right to be kept updated as to your case and see any information relevant to it (such as the report you mention).

I would suggest you phone and ask to speak to the Senior Partner of the firm. If that does not result in immediate action you can ask for a copy of the complaints procedure and write to complain. Ultimately you can raise a complaint with the Legal Services Ombudsman or ask for your claim to be transferred to a firm that will deal with the matter in a professional manner.

If you have any follow on questions please ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience: Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Clinical negligence case, self representation, transferred from the county court to the National Health Service Litigation Authority (NHSLA). The NHSLA informed me, by email, that an expert report was available, and asked me whether they should send the expert's report directly to me or to the solicitor. I asked them to send it to the solicitor. When I asked the solicitor to send me a copy of the expert's report she said she did not have it, and that the report was written for NHSLA i.e. for the benefit of the NHSLA alone. Isn't this rather odd? Shouldn't I see the report?

Hello I will get back to you later today.