Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years experience in business law and related topics such as employment law
18726264

Im a director and 50-50 shareholder of a UK limited company

I'm a director and 50-50 shareholder of a UK limited company that also owns 95% of a Portuguese limited company. The UK company is in deadlock over payments to the subsidiary. It is my opinion that the subsidiary is not economically viable and I do not want to send any more money to the company. Can the Portuguese company insist that the shareholders pay its expenses? I am currently a director of the Portuguese company but the other 5% shareholder is trying to vote me off as director because I will not transfer money.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I still need an answer thanks
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy
We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I can wait, thanks
You're very welcome.
Thank you for your question. This is a matter of Portuguese corporate law but it is highly unlikely that a company can force its shareholders to pay anything. That would defeat those purpose of limited liability.

you need however to speak to a Portuguese lawyer
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience: 30 years experience in business law and related topics such as employment law