How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi, in August my boyfriend is travelling from the USA to the

This answer was rated:

hi, in August my boyfriend is travelling from the USA to the UK to see me for 1 week. we are not mentioning he is here to see a girlfriend as we feel it's risky, therefore he will be saying he is here to see a couple friends and visit a couple sights and check out the nightlife. he will have his passport, print out of his flight to Newcastle and then from Newcastle back to Albany, and he will have a print out showing his stay at his hotel is all booked and the address of the hotel. is this all he needs? we are both extremely worried about him being denied entry because it will be our first meeting and we have waited so long. he might have money on him to show the officer if asked, but I'm not sure about that atm. he hasn't got a bank account because he has just left school. we are both 21 and 20. please tell me I'm worrying for no reason? I can't think of anything else he needs other than what I've mentioned but I can't shake the nerves

What money does he have available for the trip please?

What nationality is her? US citizen?

Do the other friends that you refer to actually exist?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi, I'm not sure on the money he will have available as his mother is giving him the cash. yes the friends are real people, one of them is dropping me off at the airport. he is US citizen yes.

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins. Please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
alright, thank you Tom

Thanks for your patience.

Although US citizens generally do not need to apply for visitor’s visas if they intend to only stay for a short period of time (ie. less than 6 months) they still have to meet he eligibility criteria for a visitor’s visa when they arrive.

The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follow (as I am sure you know), is that you need to show that:-

• You want to visit the UK for no more than six months;
• You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
• You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

Firstly, he has to get a bank account. He then needs to get the money for his stay transferred in to the account. Ideally this would be the costs of accommodating and supporting himself during his intended visit but also a further amount to cover the costs of potentially unforeseen expenses. Travelling simply with lots of cash is very suspicious and will be of concern to the UKBA entry officials.

In the case of the friends that he is visiting you should see if they are able to assist by going to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which they state the terms of the visit, that he is to return at the end of it, and that they you shall (if necessary) accommodate him and shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that no public funds will be required. They should evidence their identity in the form of certified copies of their passports and also annex bank statements and evidence of accommodation to verify they can do what they say.

The sponsorship declaration should then be sent to him so that he can carry it with him when he travels. If your friend is willing, then it would also be helpful if they stayed with you at the airport in case they call his friend to verify his reasons for entry and that they executed a sponsorship declaration.

This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-

Generally, you sometimes have show them that he has continuing obligations in his home country which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that he is not a risk of overstay because he has has compelling family and social/work ties to his home country which mean that he will not attempt to secure a permanent stay here whilst she is visiting. Things like a letter from her employer stating she has a job (if he does) and is expected to return to continue that job (if he does, or education or whatever her plans to do afterwards), statements from his family about his return, return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property or by parents), basically anything in documentary form which shows a continuing life in the US.

If he does all of this and is able to show the money available for the trip then he should be okay.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my friends wouldn't do any of that. all he is bringing to show is his passport, proof of return flight, proof of accommodation, and he will have my mobile number incase they want to call me to verify I am real. and he is just saying he is here for leisure. so this won't be enough to get him entry?

The difficulty is that UKBA entry officials are there to prevent potential immigration breaches. Every situation is different and so it's difficult to predict what they will won't do. I know that it's difficult to swallow but there is no getting around it.

If he has what you just listed AND proof of his funds in the form of bank statements showing sufficient money and his cash card to access them then he stands an OK chance of being granted entry.

If he is able to bring proof of his continuing family and social ties to the US in the form of the things I mentioned above then he stands an Ok-to-good chance of getting through if he does not give them any reason to be suspicious.

If your friend is not willing to do the above then it may be worth you executing a statutory declaration saying approximately the same but that although you are in the very tentative stages of a relationship you are aware that he cannot make any application to remain in the UK and that neither you intends or anticipates that this is a remote possibility.

This will help.

I wish I could give you guarantees, but because there are third parties invovled (ie. the entry officials) I cannot but if you do the above his chances are good.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well, I didn't know anything about declaring things about him. I just thought he could get on a plane and come here with all that I mentioned above and since it's only for 1 week he would be pretty much good to enter.

Because of the political climate and the amount of overstayers the regulation of immigration in to the UK is a bit more complicated than that.

I can see that you're a bit concerned, but provided he is able to do the things that I have outlined above then it is still very likely that he will be granted entry to the UK.

Even though the stay is only for a week, the UKBA still have to treat it with the level of attention that they would for a proposed 6 month stay because once they have let a person in (whether for a week or 6 months) they are unsupervised. This means that in either case the person could illegaly remain in the UK, if they were minded to do so.

So, you can see why it's importannt to satisfy them of the reasons and length of stay in the ways that I have described above.

It's just importnant that I illustrate why it's not quite as simple as many may think and the reasons why.

Please rate my answer. I do not receive any credit for my time if you do not.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, so just to be clear, he needs passport, print out of return flight, print out of hotel booking as it shows where he is staying, a written email from me to him saying he is coming to visit me and a couple others for a general holiday and intends to leave at the end of the week, and also a written letter from his mother saying he intends to fly back home as he is helping support her with bills etc for the house, and also a bank statement showing the money he has in to support his stay. is that all? will an email from me to him be alright? yes, I will rate the answer

It would be better if you attended a local solicitor to execute a statutory declaration confirming the visit and that you will accomodate him (if necessary) and support him during his stay. It really is much better than a simply email (which basically anyone could arranged.

You also need him to open a bank accouint and get his travel monies deposited in to it so that he can show the entry official proof of funds.

If all this is done then he stands a good chance, yes.

Kind regards

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you