Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator
Experience:  LLB, LPC, DELF
13113900

UK Company Law. I had my Company dissolved as I wanted to retire.

UK Company Law. I had my Company dissolved as I wanted to retire. I mistakenly failed to close the Bank account and under UK law these funds go to the Treasury. As I understand it I can apply to a court to have the company restored and then claim the money back so I have started filling in the forms. It seems fairly straight forward but I would appreciate some help with the 'Witness Statement' and have not been able to find a local law firm that knows about company restorations. Can any of your people suggest a practice near Watford, Hertfordshire, UK? Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  pilawyer replied 1 year ago.

pilawyer : Hi there, I've restored quite a few companies. Are you aware that you will have to pay a total of £455 in court fees so its only worth doing if there was more than that left in the bank account in question..
Customer:

Yes I am aware. £36,000 to be recovered. Sorry if you had to wait for this response the pop up came up behind another screen. My problem is the model witness statement given in Appendix 'B' of TSol's Guide to Company Restoration uses the words "There is now produced and shown to me marked JHx a true copy of the ....." in sections 1 and 4. The words 'and shown to me' seem a bit odd as I will be the one providing the copies.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

I am a company commercial expert and I can assist you with this if you wish?

Is there any reason why you are not doing this as an administrative restoration? If you dissolved the company in the last 6 years then an administrative restoration may be an option and it does not require a court application.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been told that an Administrative restoration will only apply if there is less than £3000 to recover.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you.

The conditions for administrative restoration are under s1024 and s1025 of the Companies Act 2006.

There is no requirement that the assets be less than £3k.

Are the company assets currently vested with the treasury solicitor?

Kind regards

AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Even if the company was wound up voluntarily? I am not sure under what act/section the company was wound up but my accountant used the phrase "under the old rules, 1985". If Administrative Restoration is possibler then that would be a great help.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you.

You can look at the 1985 act anymore you have to look at the 2006 act only.

Can you tell me about how it was wound up?

Kind regards

AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1) From your last reply - the assets are somewhere between the bank and the Treasury, I am not sure if they have left NatWest yet.

2) How was the company wound up - I am not sure of the details, my instructions to the accountant were just to wind the company up which he did after two years of my taking dividends to mitigate the tax burden. He went to some lengths to present the Company as a 'small' company in order to avoid a liquidator's fee of £5K. I was not sure whether this was achieved which is why funds were left in the account just in case. Next I knew v- lockdown! However I think that it was dissolved under section 652 of the 1985 act. By the way the funds left in the account were the director's loan account.

I have just found what made me think that an Administrative restoration is not possible, try the third question on:

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/miscellaneous/administrativeRestoration.shtml

Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you.

I have read the third question that is the list of criteria which state under which circumstances the company was wound up.

If it was dissolved under s652 of the 1985 act was less than 6 years ago and you are making the application as a former member - then the admin procedure qualifies.

What was the specific issue?

Kind regards

AJ
Alex J., Litigator
Experience: LLB, LPC, DELF