How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we own gates to an archway under our property. The land under

This answer was rated:

we own gates to an archway under our property. The land under the archway is
owned between our neighbours (1/3rd) and a Housing Assoc. (2/3rds) who should have transferred it to the previous owner of our property (a deed was raised but was not registered with L. Reg). A 3rd party recently bought the land behind the archway (at auction) and want to come through the gates. We have said no as they don't appear to have a explicit right of way in their Title docs. etc. They have used force recently to get in and remove rubbish from the site but still don't have a key.
Both landowners of the land under the arch have stated they have not given them permission to come through. We have received threats if we continue to oppose them. The previous owner of the rear land did use the archway but we found out since the auction that he prob. only had prescriptive rights and had only been using the tunnel in that way for 15 years absolute max. (and will testify to that). In previous years the land at the rear (which includes a workshop) was accessed through a different pair of gates (up until about 2009).

Thanks for your question.

Is the new landowner able to access their land via any other way?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The other way to the land is over someone else's land

these people used to own the land recently sold . However they gave up the land in 2009 and put up a concrete fence separating the workshop and land from theirs and effectively landlocking it. We have had some advice that the new owners could claim prescriptive rights to come through the other gates if they had to , but the advice has not been verified by a solicitor.


When the workshop land was sold at auction their was addendum that their was no legal right of way but implied that the archway would have been used for years for access to the workshop/land which is not true.


In respect of the over way through - do they have a legal right of access through it registered on their LR title?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No! I don't think so.


Thanks for your patience.

Okay. If there is no registered right of way for them to use the archway/gate as a means of access then the only other ways that they could claim a right of way are “by prescription” or “by necessity”.

In order for a right to be claimed by prescription it must have been exercised for a continuous period of twenty years by the owners of the land. If the right has not been exercised for that length of time then they cannot claim a right by prescription. Additionally, if they cannot prove the length of time in excess of 20 years then they are not likely to be successful either.

If they cannot claim a right by prescription then that only leave a claim “by necessity”. This is where an owner can only access his property by access across another’s land. If this is a case they can be granted an easement even if the other land owners refuse. However, this right only extends to being on foot only, so no vehicles.

My advice would be to pool resources with the other landowners that you refer to and write a “put up or shut up” letter to them effectively saying “claim an easement or do not use the access” then secure the gate (locks?) so that they cannot use them. State that if they damage the gates then you will report them to the police (who will say, probably correctly, that it is a civil issue) and also sue them for the damage and the cost of resecuring the gate again.

You can then defend any claim that they seek to make. Hopefully, they will choose to attempt to gain access via the other way on the basis that they are less trouble to deal with.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor