Matthew J
Matthew J, Solicitor
Experience:  4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
13732703

Hello .My son was killed by a mugger who pleaded guilty to

Hello .My son was killed by a mugger who pleaded guilty to manslaughter and theft and now serving a five and half years in prison ....I am not trying to make money but my son had no insurance or money so I had to pay for his funeral £6,000 can I claim any compensation from any criminal board please thanking you D.W.Walser
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How old was your son?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

45 years old lived on his own

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

for jomo 1972

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

for jomo 1972 he was 45 years old

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but its not really my area then

I'll opt out for others
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need a answer to my original question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For JOMO 1972

Have you put my question to others as its not your area I need a answer for my money

Expert:  Matthew J replied 1 year ago.
Hi there I will try and help.

Can I just check are you the natural parent of your son?

Can I also check that you were not estranged from your son?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I was his natural father and no he was not estranged he just lived on his own he was 45 years of age when he was killed by this mugger

Expert:  Matthew J replied 1 year ago.
And just to check did your son have a criminal record,

and also can you confirm he wasn't to blame in any way for his death (what I mean by this is did he, for example, he start a fight with his mugger which lead to his death, or something similar)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no he was followed from the p.o knocked to the ground hitting his head robbed of £110.00 he died a few days later from brain damage the guy pleaded guilty to manslaughter and theft now in prison serving 5 years

Expert:  Matthew J replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

Sorry one more thing I should have asked; what date did all of this happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my son died last june 2012 tha case finished at the old Baily last month may 2013

Expert:  Matthew J replied 1 year ago.
First things first, I am very sorry for your loss.

Taking what you say into account you do indeed appear to be eligible to bring a claim. A parent who is not estranged can bring a claim on behalf of the child, even if over 18, to the Criminal injuries Compensation Authority. You can do this yourself, or employ a Solicitor to do it (but the Authority wont pay legal costs so this will come out of whatever you recover, but on the other hand you may receive more from them if a Solicitor is involved – it is your choice).

If you wish to take the matter yourself you just need to create an account and submit the claim. See here.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/victims-and-witnesses/cica/apply-online

I can’t make a definite assessment of the level of compensation, but it would include funeral expenses.

you have 3 years to make a claim

I hope that helps. Please ask any additional questions you need to, and please leave positive feedback if you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help Mathew J just a couple of points please ,

I have not had a look at justice site yet but would I need to get the trial papers from the Old Baily or do they have access to them .. As I am only trying to regain the funeral costs and not compensation for Michaels life I did not really want to get a Solicitor involved ..

{ no amount would bring him back to us}

Thank you again D W Walser

Expert:  Matthew J replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

No you would not have to get any papers. The CICA would obtain the police reports, etc, and may ask you for a few bits of information that you have in your possession perhaps, but they do the leg work.

I understand you only want the funeral costs, but do remember that you would only be claiming what you are entitled. if you do get more you could always donate to his favour charity, or commemorate his life with a memorial, for example, but of course it is your decision. If you decide to do it yourself it is quite straightforward.
Matthew J, Solicitor
Experience: 4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience