Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

hello ia had an accident last summer,wasnt insured and I wasnt

hello ia had an accident last summer,wasn't insured and I wasn't vehicle owner.There was no police at scene and no witnesses.The other driver doesn't want to call the police,he gave me false informations about his insurer,but the car was not insured what i checked later on askMId webside.First i get two letters from insurer( diffrent insurance company than he provide me) asking me for paying for car repair.There was mistakes in my name and surname,but correct adress.I didnt answer.Now I receive letter from MIB,asking me if the car was insured or not and details of this.I have question what can happen next?what they can do next?should I answer them?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Did you know you were uninsured when you drove?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I was unisured i knew about it,I cancel my policy before,because I lost a job and I wanted to save a money,stupid mistake.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
I assume that the accident was your fault.
If the MIB are involved they are satisfied with the other drivers details and insurance and you must deal with them.
If they have to pay out a claim under their uninsured drivers scheme, they will come to you for the money it has cost them.
Let them have all the details they ask for because if you dont they will take you to court anyway.
Does that answer?
Can I answer any specific points?

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want to hear).
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. I
t doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.

I am offline shortly until later today and will pick this up then

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The accident wasn't my fault ,there was no road marks on the roundabout and the other driver was driving too fast and carelessly.Can it cost more than the amount what his insurer ask me for car repair?Will I have to go to court anyway?Can I defend myself in court?Is it help that there was no police and on the day that car was not insured,like it shows me on AskMid?Or nothing can help and I will have to pay them what they want even if the accident wasn't my fault?What they will do next?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
What happened in the accident?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No one was hurt,we were ok,there was only small cars damages,cost of his car repair was 1400pounds I had to pay 1000.This is how it looks like...

http://imageupload.co.uk/files/j38zz11d052ew2nnr2w8.jpg

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It appears from the photo (thank you) that he cut across the front of you.
Are you saying that he wasnt insured either?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he wasn't insured ,AskMid showed me this that day,but he gave me his name,surname and the name of his insurer which was Portmore,then I receive letter from his insurer named Equilty Claims.Thats why I think he was not insured aswell,and he do it after accident already with back date.He drove a company car,not his private.After few days a checked again his reg no and AskMid showed it's insured.Is it possible to check it some way?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

I am going to suggest dealing with slightly differently.

Write back to MIB and say that a search of MID carried out at the time of the accident showed that the claimant’s vehicle was not insured.

Ask them therefore to let you know on what basis they are dealing with this claim and to let you have details of his insurer because you are of the opinion that it is the other drivers fault and wish the MIB to pursue claim against him on your behalf.

Before going further, you will need to see what they say

Can I help further?

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice