Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Here is my situation; I have PPI with my mortgage company and

Customer Question

Here is my situation; I have PPI with my mortgage company and they have appointed underwriters (I do not have the PPI contract with the underwriters). I have made a claim for unemployment which is being paid; after several months of payments they wish to make a "claims audit" and come to my house to see various documents; proof of earnings, termination letter, proof of job search etc and also they want to see my bank statements.

I have no issue providing everything they ask for, except the bank statements (there is no impropriety going on on my part, I have not worked during the claim and am not being paid "on the quiet" which I guess is their reason for looking at the statements). However, it just rankles and reeks of intrusion and heavy-handedness. Also, I only have joint account with my wife, so her transactions are on the statement as well - she is not on the mortgage, not part of the PPI claim etc.

My parents have lent me some money as well, which will show up on the statements ... so where do we draw the line, can they insist on looking at my parent's accounts as well?

My policy with the mortgage company says I must provide ongoing evidence of my job search, which I have and can do ... but my bank account has nothing to do with my job search.

Also, I have no contract with the mortgage company's underwriters.

Finally, part of the problem is that I am in arrears on some unsecured credit (happens to be with the same group as the mortgage is with) and I don't want them to see that I have been lent money by my parents, since I need this to live on and feed kids etc.

What rights do they have to look at my bank statements as part of a claim for verifying my job search (bear in mind, every 2 weeks I make a declaration to the DWP that I have not worked and the PPI company has had confirmation of this from DWP).

Sorry for the long statement, thanks for any pointers.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

How long have you been unemployed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since 1st October 2012; about 8 months. My issue is not that they want to see relevant documents (I understand this) but the bank statements are not relevant to my looking for a job and they are joint statements, one of the parties on the statement (my wife) is not party to the claim and does not want them to see her statements.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

The insurance co no longer are no longer advisd by DWP. That stopped 2 years ago or so. certainly more than a year ago.
My best friend happens to be a PPI insurance guru. He is an insurer but only deals with brokers so he knows all about misselling claims but hanst gota single claim against him
The policy terms and conditions usually allow them to have access to "such docs as they require" which covers bank statements.
They are not allowed to see yr wifes transactions on those statments, so blank them out.
The fact that you have been lent money by parents is 0 to do with the PPI claim. I am sure that money was lent to your wife wasnt it? Ahem...

In any event, as you said: it was loan not a gift and must be repaid.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help, so obvious of course to block out my wife's transactions but probably in the heat would not have thought of it.

Thanks.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Glad to assist