How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 69152
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i stole 12k from my employer i am on work permit in UK what

This answer was rated:

i stole 12k from my employer i am on work permit in UK what will happened if they caught me? what if i rum away to my country will they chase me there also?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Where are you from please?

Also, have you been charged already?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I a from India and work in london on work permit visa. my employer still dont know about that they might know it tomorrow when they will check my float.
I was a really good person till today but one of my bad habit made me worse now

Do you think they will call the police?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My relation with my employer is really good they trust me a lot but i am sure they will call to the police because the company is very professional.
Thank you for the information. I just need ten minutes to dictate an answer is thats Ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok please tell me what ever is truth and what will happen if i leave this country and went back to india.
Thanks for the information.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

Proceeding on the basis that your employers call the police, they will have to act upon this matter. Probably they will invite you in for questioning voluntarily. If you don’t go though then they would issue a warrant for your arrest.

If you do leave the jurisdiction then they can get extradition warrants. India is a category two country so its very easy to achieve that as extradition warrants go.

In fact, there is case law to the effect that they shouldn’t seek extradition warrants for questioning alone but they won’t do that. What they will do is summons you to court and the proceed in absence.

There is a strong chance they won’t bother with an extradition warrant. This is a large sum of money taken in breach of trust but its not the worst case of its kind and often they do not take that action. However, nobody can guarantee that it couldn’t happen I’m afraid.

Also, even if they did not pursue you there, the warrant would be outstanding in the UK so if you ever returned it would be executed.

For what its worth, sometimes employers don’t call the police.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks for that one last question what if i go my self to my boss and accept what i did.
All i want to know that if i got arrested that how many years or month i've to spend in jail in UK
I am sorry but that would be bad news.

If this is £12k taken in breach of trust then you are facing custody I'm afraid realistically. I have been able to get suspended sentences for some people in exceptional circumstances but most commonly the sentence is custody.

If they are not saying that the position of trust you occupied was not high then the starting point is 18 months and the range is 12 months to 3 years I'm afraid.

If you plead guilty you will get one third off and you would only serve half of any sentence. Plus you might get out early on home detention curfew.

I would focus on trying to avoid this if you can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
but how can i avoid this
Well, really only hoping that your employer doesn't report it or they cannot prove it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks a lot for your support i wish i could resole it otherwise have no option left for me in y life i just ruined my life. anyway the amount which i have to pay is 7500 because 5k still with me which i will return to them.
yes, that might well help.

Employers often don't report thefts and particularly not when there is repayment.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 69152
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Jo C. and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor