Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

i stole 12k from my employer i am on work permit in UK what

i stole 12k from my employer i am on work permit in UK what will happened if they caught me? what if i rum away to my country will they chase me there also?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this

In order to give you answer tailored to your circumstances I will need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Where are you from please?

Also, have you been charged already?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I a from India and work in london on work permit visa. my employer still dont know about that they might know it tomorrow when they will check my float.
I was a really good person till today but one of my bad habit made me worse now
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Do you think they will call the police?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My relation with my employer is really good they trust me a lot but i am sure they will call to the police because the company is very professional.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. I just need ten minutes to dictate an answer is thats Ok?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok please tell me what ever is truth and what will happen if i leave this country and went back to india.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

Proceeding on the basis that your employers call the police, they will have to act upon this matter. Probably they will invite you in for questioning voluntarily. If you don’t go though then they would issue a warrant for your arrest.

If you do leave the jurisdiction then they can get extradition warrants. India is a category two country so its very easy to achieve that as extradition warrants go.

In fact, there is case law to the effect that they shouldn’t seek extradition warrants for questioning alone but they won’t do that. What they will do is summons you to court and the proceed in absence.

There is a strong chance they won’t bother with an extradition warrant. This is a large sum of money taken in breach of trust but its not the worst case of its kind and often they do not take that action. However, nobody can guarantee that it couldn’t happen I’m afraid.

Also, even if they did not pursue you there, the warrant would be outstanding in the UK so if you ever returned it would be executed.

For what its worth, sometimes employers don’t call the police.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks for that one last question what if i go my self to my boss and accept what i did.
All i want to know that if i got arrested that how many years or month i've to spend in jail in UK
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but that would be bad news.

If this is £12k taken in breach of trust then you are facing custody I'm afraid realistically. I have been able to get suspended sentences for some people in exceptional circumstances but most commonly the sentence is custody.

If they are not saying that the position of trust you occupied was not high then the starting point is 18 months and the range is 12 months to 3 years I'm afraid.

If you plead guilty you will get one third off and you would only serve half of any sentence. Plus you might get out early on home detention curfew.

I would focus on trying to avoid this if you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but how can i avoid this
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, really only hoping that your employer doesn't report it or they cannot prove it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks a lot for your support i wish i could resole it otherwise have no option left for me in y life i just ruined my life. anyway the amount which i have to pay is 7500 because 5k still with me which i will return to them.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
yes, that might well help.

Employers often don't report thefts and particularly not when there is repayment.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.