Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I sent my Zanussi electric oven for repair a month ago. However,

I sent my Zanussi electric oven for repair a month ago. However, when it came back it was another model, not mine. I told the shopkeeper it wasn't mine but she insisted that it was.

I remember the clerk had called me a day after I sent it and asked me if it was a new model or an old one. Since my oven was about 4 years old i said it was old but the model that came back was even older.

The only way I can recognise mine is that mine does not have a grill which the one sent back did. Also , mine had a bigger Zanussi word printed at the corner and a bigger back.
Unfortunately, I don't have my oven's model number. What can I do?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What exactly would you like to know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FOR JOMO1972 Will I be able to win the case if I ask a lawyer to issue a letter?
How much is this oven worth roughly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
RM 1400
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It had happen before. I sent it for repairs 2 years ago and the same thing
happened. But that time I managed to get back my own oven because I still
had my warranty card. This time the lady boss got fierce.
I am sorry for any delay you are experiencing. Unfortunately there are some bugs online and have been for a while. Its not something I have control over because the site is hosted in California and I am in London.

I'll just read this over again now that I'm in.

Is the replacement worth less or more than yours?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think the replacement is worth less as it is a slightly older model. I did think of not making a fuss as I had always wished that mine had a grill. But I just don't want to be cheated. Besides, mine is much cleaner internally.

Thanks for the information.

The starting point is that you are entitled to your oven. The question really here is what can be done about this.

Certainly you can sue for the value of the oven. If this was £1400 RRP then, although you won’t get that sum for a 4 year old oven, you would get a reasonable sum.

It does have the advantage of being a small claims court sum and so it will be cheap and easy to sue. You can issue here

There’s no need to bear the cost of a solicitor.

What you cannot do though is get an order for the return of your oven. If they can’t find it, then they can’t find it!

You will also have to prove that the oven delivered to you is not yours. Obviously that is a hurdle to overcome although it might be possible. Probably they dont have records to the contrary and you can give oral evidence on the point.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear JOMO 1972,

I'm going to try my way first i.e. get fierce with the lady boss 'cos i know this small town. She didn't lose my oven 'cos they returned it the last time 2 years ago after they tried to switch it. Thanks for your effort. Will let you know the outcome if you are interested.
Yes, that would be great.

Making complaints might well achieve a lot. Even if they don't have it they might well offer compensation to avoid negative word of mouth press.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear JOMO 1972,

Your last advice is encouraging. I want to see the outcome first before I decide to give a tip. Thanks and sorry.
No problem.

All the best.