Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters

When I was 17 I received a 12-month conditional discharge for

Customer Question

When I was 17 I received a 12-month conditional discharge for petty theft (shoplifting). It was a stupid teenage prank. It shows on an enhanced crb.

I am now 51 and have had a successful business career rising to senior executive roles. I often speak as a guest lecturer and at conferences, and I am now considering a career change to become a fulltime teacher or university lecturer.

Will this ancient incident on my enhanced crb prevent me being hired in this profession ?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jenny Mackenzie replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, it is unlikely that this would stop an employer from hiring you. There are a huge number of people with issues such as cautions which show on enhanced crb checks and employers will often disregard offences which will not impact on a persons ability to perform their role.

Obviously given the fact that you know about the issue it would be prudent for you to be open about it from the outset.

If you have any questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give a positive rating.

Thank you and all the best for your career change.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jenny. Thanks for your reply.

I wondered if in your experience there was any trend as to whether this kind of juvenile misdemeanor is disregarded by those recruiting teachers/lecturers ?

Legally is there any 'Reform' type of act which encourages employers to treat certain minor offences as irrelevant ?
Yes I would say that most employers would disregard minor offences and yes there is the rehabitialtion of offenders act which means that in the majority of cases employers do not need to be told or cannot refuse to employ on the basis of spent convictions. There are certain employments where the employer can be asked (the ones where enhanced crb checks are required).

As I stated before there are lots of people with a blot on their copybook. This is not likely to concern a perspective employer.