Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
32019188

Is it worth appealing against a verbal warning or should I

Is it worth appealing against a verbal warning or should I challenge it as:-

1. This request for me to take my turn in chairing team meetings was not specifically included in my job description
2. Was never mentioned at my job interview (some years ago)
3. I regard as unreasonable as I am only an Accounts Assistant i.e. not a supervisor or manager
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, is it normally only people at a supervisory or management level who are asked to chair meetings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry - I don't think you got the whole message.

We have recently had a new senior manager (financial controller) who has instigated monthly team meetings. He chaired the first but wanted each member of the team to take it in turn to arrange and chair each meeting.
A colleague recently chaired the second meeting. I was asked to chair the third but refused on the grounds previously stated.
So, until the new senior manager was appointed no member of the accounts team had ever chaired any meetings as far as I am aware.
Is it reasonable for me to refuse to chair these meetings or should I accept a verbal warning and chair them in the future - even though I feel that this is the responsibility of supervisors / managers.

Thank you.
Hello I think that you are within your right to appeal this and ask why it is now that you are being asked to do it.

If it is because the employer wants your role to progress then it may be that in the future you will have to agree to chair it as it may be considered to amount to a refusal to comply with a reasonable management instruction to refuse to do so in the future.

If you have any questions about this please do ask.