Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

We have had a boiler installed. We now have received an invoice

We have had a boiler installed. We now have received an invoice stating the Job Description as "24/04/13 Conv to Combi WB 241 JNR STD FLUE DT10 RF OPTIMIS"

The Details are: "INE/1316/0227/01 Balance Due £3,925.00 (Dept 01)"

THere is no indication of parts used, work carried out etc, no Unit Price just a total and no breakdown of VAT (although the company is VAT registered)

Is this legal?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Why do you think it isn't legal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because there is no itemisation of work carried out. The sum being charged is very high as well. I have looked at the cost of parts and I think these are no more than £1,800 at the very most so I am wanting to be able to query how they arrived at £3,925
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

did you ask for a price before the work was carried out?

Have you asked for a breakdown of how they came to this sum?

On what do you base your estimate of £1800?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we did ask for a price. At the time my wife was dealing with this company and when she signed agreeing to the sum of £3,925 she thought that this was including a sum for paying via a finance agreement. We subsequently had correspondence from the company asking us to sign a credit agreement from Barclays bank for the total sum of £6,566.40 - a figure that had never previously been mentioned. We have not signed this agreement.

I have asked ofr a breakdown and the information I quoted earlier is all that I have recieved

The figure of £1,800 is based on a websearch of the items supplied - ie boiler, control, etc.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

What about installation costs?

So you didn't know what yr wife had agreed until this bill came through?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there would be installation costs but £2,000 seems a lot. The work took just under two days. I didn't know that my wife had signed a document for the work to be carried out. I have contacted the company asking for a breakdown of the work but only had the bill as stated above.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

So your wife agreed to this work at that price totally without your knowledge?

The first you knew was when you arrive d home to find a new boiler?

It is relevant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The boiler is actually in a house we rent out but yes, we had not been getting on too well and she agreed this without my knowledge
Expert:  Stuart J replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. And
that is something that a judge would take into consideration,(if it gets that far) that she did
this without your knowledge.

The situation, in
absence of an agreement to the contrary, is that under the Supply of Goods and
Services Act, a job must be carried out with reasonable care and skill, at a
reasonable price and within a reasonable period of time.

What does not
assist you is the fact that your wife agreed this price and now you (not your
wife) have what is known as "buyer's remorse" where you now find that she has
paid more for the job then you would have paid.

By all means
query it and insist on a total breakdown. I also suggest that you get a quote for
a boiler installation from another firm and if you then want to argue over the
total bill, pay what you agree and let them argue over the balance.

I will tell you
that I had a boiler installed about three years ago and it was over £3000
although a lot depends on the pipework involved and the type of boiler.

I will tell you
that if I were being asked the same question by the boiler company whereby your
wife had agreed to pay an amount of money for an installation and it was now
being queried by her husband, I would provide a complete breakdown and of the
money was not forthcoming, I would be advising them to go straight off to court.

I am assuming
that this is their legitimate price and they have not been trying to take
advantage because if that is the case, or if your wife is vulnerable for any
reason, I would refer the company to trading standards.

I appreciate that
this is probably not the answer you wanted to hear but there is no point in me
misleading.

Does that answer
the question.? Can I assist any further?

I am happy to
follow up any individual point you make

I am online and
off-line each day and most weekends.

Please don't
forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want
to hear). If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive
rating. It doesn't give me "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is
my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask. Thank you.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice