How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 25358
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi VOA think our large home needs 2 council tax bandings. It

Customer Question

Hi VOA think our large home needs 2 council tax bandings. It has a rear staircase a 2nd kitchen. We had a tenant for a short time who used the back door as the entrance so i guess a 2nd bill is probably liable for then. but what do we do to change it back to one house (was never built as 2 houses)i guess taking out the kitchen won't work, can't take out the rear staircase. Would bricking up back door be enough? many thanks.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua : Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied
Joshua : I note you mention that the property has a second kitchen. Would I be correct to assume that it has its own bathroom too please?
JACUSTOMER-078mvhr2- : Hi well yes but its just a bathroom and old utility room of the main house. When the house became a bit large for my parents, they closed off a few doors and had a tenant. Very minimal construction was needed simply by the fact its a large house. But its not separate staff quarters nor ever was. W already have that and that is separately rated already.
JACUSTOMER-078mvhr2- : The entrance the tenant used was simply our back door and my parents used a door off a conservatory to get to their garden.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your response. I cannot seem to post in the chat window so I have switched to the question and answer format which I hope does not cause any inconvenience.

The starting point for this is the council acting via its council tax officer has discretion in these circumstances as to whether to class the (can we call it an annex for expediency here) annex for a separate council tax band. He must have regard to the level of modification the property has undergone when considering whether to charge separately or not. Your main Achilles heel is likely to be the kitchen as case law has repeatedly affirmed that the presence of a separate kitchen can be prima facie evidence of a separate dwelling as discussed below.

The below are relevant decisions by the courts which have been the result of challenges to council and valuation office decisions.

Clement –v- Brian – High Court

Bedsit units with a wc and a wash hand basis in a separate cloakroom. Bedsitting area with a fully equipped kitchen in a separate room. No shower or bath. There were communal bathing facilities. The absence of a bath or shower did not take the property (which was otherwise self contained) outside the definition of self contained so the unit was separately banded.


James V Williams

Four units, each unit had a living room, kitchen (one of the units instead had a kitchen/living room) and bedroom. All units shared a combined bathroom/wc and a separate wc compartment. However, one did have its own wc as well. It was assessed as four separate units.


Neale ex parte Moore – Court of Appeal

Consideration of status of a bed sitting room and kitchen of which the tenant had the sole use. Shared use of bathroom and wc by 13 tenants. Separate banding upheld.

You will likely need to give consideration to removing the second kitchen and then appealing the decision.To appeal initially you can write to your council, saying why you think your decision is wrong. If you appeal is rejected following a further inspection you can appeal the Valuation Tribunal using the below link. If you appeal with the kitchen still in situ case law is against you though each situation does turn on its own circumstance.

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help you with any further?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with in respect of the above. Please do revert to me if I can clarify anything above whatsoever.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor