How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70121
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We got married on 2nd January and had a band booked to play

This answer was rated:

We got married on 2nd January and had a band booked to play at our reception. 4 days before on the Friday evening with a weekend and bank holiday in between they called to say their van had failed its MOT, they were 300 miles away and could not come unless we organised them some transport and accommodation. On researching this, it was going to cost £500 to get them to us and 2 night's accommodation to link in with flights or trains. We simply could not afford that with our budget already spent, nor did we think that should be our problem to sort out.

We contacted their management company but got a message saying they were closed until January 7th which was obviously too late. Consequently we had to scour round at the last minute for someone to fill in so we were not left without music but it wasn't what we had meticulously planned.

When the management returned from holidays they said they were sorry and offered us a meal voucher which we never received. We felt this was wholly inadequate for having spoiled the wedding and let us down so badly by not having a plan in place should something like this happen.

Since them we have contacted them to be told each time they would look into it and get back to us but they never do. We are now thinking about taking them to the Small Claims Court, but if we do so, what could we claim for? They refunded thier fee but we felt they should pay for the other band, the food and hospitality we had booked and paid for and something towards our distress and disappointment. Is there a legal precedent for this or a better way to handle it?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I can completely see why you are furious about this but I am afraid it is not likely you would get further compensation at court.

I know this isn’t going to be the answer you want to hear, and it’s certainly not what I want to tell you. However, I wish to be completely honest with you, so I feel obligated to not give you false hope.

They were certainly in breach of contract as you booked them and they did not perform. Whatever their reason matters not.

However, you can only claim compensation for the sum of your loss and you were, I'm afraid, made whole because they refunded the fee.

I do understand that you had to pay another band to perform but, ultimately, you would have had to pay somebody anyway so that isn't really a loss.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C. and 4 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions