Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am buying a car from a large motor group, i have seen the

Customer Question

I am buying a car from a large motor group, i have seen the car and put a £100 deposit down pending delivery and final payment. I have received a V5C form with the previous owners details and documents for private registration plate transfer.
But, my name has been entered as the New Keeper by the Garage and the manager of the Garage has signed his name where I should sign to declare I am the new keeper.
I have not bought the car as yet, it is pending and final payment is privately funded not HP .
Please advise, thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I will just need to ask a few questions to consider your position properly before I can give you a researched answer

What would you like to know about this car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I dont need to know anything about the car, I was happy to purchase the car pending final inspection. The car has a private number plate and the original owner has paid for this to be retained but the log book is incorrect.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

So what is your question about that please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have received a V5C form from DVLA with the previous owners details and documents for private registration plate transfer.

But, my name has been entered as the New Keeper by the Garage and the manager of the Garage has signed his name where I should sign my name to declare I am the new keeper. This is not correct and is not legal for someone else to sign on my behalf ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry if I'm missing the point but surely you are the new keeper? You have agreed to purchase. You don't seem to be trying to cancel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not as of yet, I have only put a deposit down, I have not paid for the car, I received documents from the DVLA and someone has signed the section for me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I understand that.

What I'm trying to understand is what is the disadvantage in this to you? Sorry if I'm missing the point. I'm sure its my fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My point is surely someone should not be signing these type of legal documents on my behalf? Without me ever agreeing them to do so?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but I'm afraid its unlikely that this would give rise to an actions.

Potentially this is a forgery. If its designed to look like your signature then that could amount to forgery.

However, since there is no disadvantage and no apparent intention to cause disadvantage I can tell you fairly categorically that the police and the DVLA will not be remotely interested I'm afraid.

I can understand that you would want to be careful over things like this but since no loss has been caused I'm afraid there will be no claim in compensation and certainly no criminal prosecution.

You can always make a complaint about this and the dealership may apologise but since you don't seem to want to cancel the purchase and will be the new keeper soon anyway its not likely to actionable.

I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The signature is not mine it is a totally different person ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If its not designed to look like yours then there is no forgery.

To be honest, this is a fairly common occurrence and no offence or civil wrong arises.

I am sorry.