How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 25358
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have some lodgers and claim rent a room tax relief. After

Resolved Question:

I have some lodgers and claim rent a room tax relief. After removing the £4200 is the remainder covered by my personal tax allowance
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Joshua :

For the avoidance of any doubt could I confirm that presumably we are talking about income tax here (i.e. as opposed to capital gains tax) please? I am sure this is the case but it would be helpful to have your confirmation on this point?

Joshua and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes my takings are just under £7000. Rent a room tax allowance is about £4200. This leaves £2800. I am presuming that this sum will be counted in my personal tax allowance of £9440 and thus I will not have any tax liability.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Sorry the site (at least at my end) appears to be experiencing a few stability problems. I trust it is not causing too great an inconvenience.

If you live in the house too you can claim £4,250 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. If you own the house jointly with a partner this allownace is halved between you.

If you take less than this amount in rent then you need to nothing at all. If you take more then you need to complete a tax return and opt into the tax free allowance scheme. Any amount over £4250 is taxed taking into account your personal allowances at the relevant rate.

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help with any further?
Joshua and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions