Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

I have some lodgers and claim rent a room tax relief. After

I have some lodgers and claim rent a room tax relief. After removing the £4200 is the remainder covered by my personal tax allowance
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Thanks for your question. Please kindly RATE my answer when you are satisfied

Joshua :

For the avoidance of any doubt could I confirm that presumably we are talking about income tax here (i.e. as opposed to capital gains tax) please? I am sure this is the case but it would be helpful to have your confirmation on this point?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes my takings are just under £7000. Rent a room tax allowance is about £4200. This leaves £2800. I am presuming that this sum will be counted in my personal tax allowance of £9440 and thus I will not have any tax liability.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Sorry the site (at least at my end) appears to be experiencing a few stability problems. I trust it is not causing too great an inconvenience.

If you live in the house too you can claim £4,250 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. If you own the house jointly with a partner this allownace is halved between you.

If you take less than this amount in rent then you need to nothing at all. If you take more then you need to complete a tax return and opt into the tax free allowance scheme. Any amount over £4250 is taxed taking into account your personal allowances at the relevant rate.

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help with any further?