INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)

Can website of governmental body be considered as official

Customer Question

Can website of governmental body be considered as official source of law?
For example, can I refer to in the court? If so, what is the legal base for such reference?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  INC replied 3 years ago.

Please remember to RATE my answer by using the smiley faces OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE. If you seek clarification please ask.

Hi, what context is the reference being used? Please provide further details.

Customer : for instance, officer of UKBA refuse to enter the country on the ground that visa required. However, according to the list of visa states, citizen entering the UK hold passport of the country that is not in the list. Is it possible to appeal to the web as a souse of official information of the government/UK?
INC : Hi,
INC : The Guidance Notes and information provided on the UKBA website is not law unless it is contained within the immigration rules. If it is not contained within the immigration rules, it is not law. I suggest you research the case of Pankina for the legal authority.
INC : I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.
INC : If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.
INC : Many thanks,