INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Hello, I am renting a house in Kent and missed one council

Customer Question

Hello, I am renting a house in Kent and missed one council tax payment when I was overseas in the US for 3 weeks. That was due April 1 2013. On the 12th of April the council issued a court summons including a £60 cost penalty and stated that I had to pay the entire annual amount (£2500) up front, as I forfeited my right to pay in installments. I then paid the latest two installments at the beginning of May and am up to date but the council will not relent. I am told I have to go to court and explain why I do not want to pay the annual charge to the judge. I have never missed a payment before and we have paid month to month as we are on a 9-month lease.

This seems incredibly punitive and an abuse of power. I have asked for the council's complaint procedure; isnt there a consumer protection law which gives consumers more than 11 days to pay a debt without being hauled in front of a court? If I get a court decision against me to pay the entire amount will this affect my credit rating?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  INC replied 4 years ago.

INC :

Please remember to RATE my answer by using the smiley faces OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE. If you seek clarification please ask.

INC :

Hi, unfortunately, if an Order is made against you, this would affect your credit rating as it would be a CCJ against your name.

INC :

AT this stage, you can only attend Court and request that you be allowed to continue to pay in instalments.

INC :

I hope this helps. If so, kindly click ACCEPT.

INC :

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

INC :

Kind regards,

Customer :

No,actually this answer is insufficient. My question is whether there are consumer protection laws which would allow a summons to be issued after such a short amount of time, as described.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy