Matthew J
Matthew J, Solicitor
Experience:  4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
13732703

a member of staff has complained that his work station is causing

a member of staff has complained that his work station is causing him pain in the neck and that his desk is not high enough. This is a mixing dest and is often shared by other staff.
We have supplied him with a suitable chair, wrist support, foot rest but he is still complaing.
we have also offered him his own work station which he does not want as he feels this may cause bad feelings with other members of staff. He has now told us that he could take us to court.
Have we done enough can he do this.

Regards
Lisa

Matthew J :

Hi there I will try and help]

Matthew J :

Is is the desk he is specifically complaining about?

Matthew J :

How long has he worked at the desk?

Customer:

yes he said the desk is too low

Customer:

He has been with us for about 1 year and has mention this to other staff. He has only made a complaint to HR today.

Customer:

he was a freelancer at other companies before

Matthew J :

HI sorry just bear with me a moment please

Matthew J :

Sorry about that

Matthew J :

There is no specific law governing what hight is desk is. You should conduct a risk assessment and evaluate the desk in comparison to other desks available, and make a note of this. Ultimately the question is are you acting as a reasonable employer in making him us the desk that is available to him. By offering him his own work station I think you are acting reasonably. If he does not wish to move that is his concern and he is ultimately contributing to his own condition which will limit or prevent him from claiming.

Matthew J :

He is at liberty to bring a claim of course, but it appears you have done all you can to limit your liability Ultimatly it will be for a judge to decide if he has a work related illness caused by any negligence of his employer