How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Friend and I set up joint beauty salon, lease of building is

This answer was rated:

Friend and I set up joint beauty salon, lease of building is actually still in previous tenant as she has only 12 months to go, my friend knew her and we pay her the rent, I have paid £4000 for fixtures and fittings and £300 contribution to 2 months rent. I have taken £0 in wages as I was working my notice in my previous job and therefore had a salary. Today is officially my last day in my previous role and on Monday (2 days ago) she says it is not working and she doesnt want a partnership. Help

Was it initially agreed with your friend that you would join her in partnership to run the beauty salon once you worked your notice?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes and have forked out £500 on courses to train too but i am not bothered about that money

Right. Is she now saying that she does not wish for you to work there?

What is her justification for this and what does she say about returning the money?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She says she is not going to carry me as I have to get my own clients and doesnt want to share the takings (she makes most of the money and as of yet I have never taken a penny)

However she now has a beautiful refurbished salon, kitchen, bathroom, nail stations etc etc which she has not paid a penny for



What's your ideal resolution to this? That you work their with her or simnply that you have your monies returned to you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont want to work with her and want my monies, also unknown to her I have managed to keep my previous emplyment after explaining to them what has happened


Thanks for your patience.

If it was agreed that you would enter partnership verbally then this can be binding as a legally recognised partnership under the Partnership Act 1890. Therefore, I would state that you formed a legal partnership the moment that you agreed what you planned to do with the partnership.

You should state that because you have a partnership you are entitled to trade in the partnership, but given that she has refused to let you do this you consider this to be a breach of the partnership agreement.

Additionally because you have not executed a written partnership agreement the arrangement is governed by the partnership act. The Act states that all partners are equally entitled to the profits of the organisation. This is regardless of if a partner has not put in any time or effort and continues not to.

Therefore you should say that unless she pays you back all the money that you have expended then you shall instruct a solicitor to claim half of the profits that she starts accruing from the business. This should get her on a more concillitory footing and you can attempt to negotiate settlement or a payment plan from there.

You should state that unless a compromise payment plan is agreed then you will issue a claim against her.

You can instruct a solicitor to write this to her, if it is a simply letter before action then I would expect them to charge around £70 + VAT

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor