Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i received a letter from lewisham homes that they are going

i received a letter from lewisham homes that they are going to use their right of entry to
enter my home in 7 days
so that they can carry out a survey to do building works.
they sent the letter on the 19th March i received it on 23rd march
which has left me no time to deal with matter.

On what basis do you occupy the property please, do you have a tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am a secured tenant and lived here 20 years

Thanks for your patience.

The housing association will be under a duty to keep the property in structural repair, whereas you will be under an obligation to keep the internal decoration in a good state of repair.

Ultimately, the housing association can enforce entry to the property to carry out repairs because it’s essentially a safety issue for which they could be liable if they breach their repair obligations.

However, they are under a duty to consult reasonably with tenants. I expect that they usually state 7 days in the letters that they send out and no one kicks up a fuss. I would go back to them in writing stating that you acknowledge their ultimate right and obligation to repair and that a survey may be required but that the time period you have been afforded is not sufficient or practicable.

Give them an alternative date that will afford you enough time to get your ducks in a row and I would expect that they would then agree to it, unless there are works which are an obvious and material danger to you or passers-by

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they have said they have written to me on several occasions

and made appointments.

of which the appointments tthey have not been on time and i have had to get back to work.

why they have done this

It's a bit curious that they say they have written to you three times. All you can say is that you have not received the letters and therefore offer a further date at the nearest practicable opportunity for you.

They do have a right to enforce repair and I think you are better off adopting a concilliatory approach to avoid things getting tense.

State that you do not dispute their right to repair the building but that they should reaonably consult you and offer a further date.

Please remember to rate my answer.