UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007

uner the equality act 2010 1st octerber dose protected characteristics

uner the equality act 2010 1st octerber dose protected characteristics act apply to private clubs the committee of all man refuse us ladies of becoming full mumbers on the grounds of being lady social mumbers and not full mumbers like all men does this come under sex discrimintion act and equality act if yes what action do we take to implimant it thank you june mcdermid is it the same for uk law

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Thanks for your question, my name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to help you today.

Yes it applies assuming they have more than 25 members.

It is unlawful for a private club or other association to discriminate against, harass or victimise an existing or potential member or an associate. (An associate is someone who is not a member but who has some or all of the rights of a member because they are a member of an affiliated private club.)

A club cannot refuse membership, or grant membership on less favourable terms (such as by applying different conditions or fees) because the person has a protected characteristic – disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.

So yes this would be discrimination.

In order to take matters further you could raise a complaint with the commission.

They could investigate for you. They can be found at

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help you today please let me know.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007