Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience

how can i find out if the mobile phone number contact i have

Customer Question

how can i find out if the mobile phone number contact i have for an english phone is linked to nigeria. every time i try to call i get told its diverting , then sorry that number is XXXXX avaliable on this net work . im in australia the number im calling is XXXXXXXXXXX supposed to be in manchester , and im not sure
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

West Africah scammers frequently use call forwarding services to make it appear as if you are calling a UK number, when in fact your call is being rerouted to Nigeria.

I cannot read the number that you have posted because it was removed from your post by our privacy software, but if after the country code of 44 you have a number in the 700s, then these are the numbers reserved for the call forwarders and a call to or from that number is XXXXX really going to Manchester.

There is no reason that a UK business would need a call forwarding service, so this is highly indicative of a likely scam.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes Fran i am already aware of the info you gave me , i need to know how i can find out if this particular number is XXXXX scam number , i have checked it against known numbers , most particuarly the first 3 numbers after the 44 code, this info is readily avaliable on the wab , im afraid you have not given me anything i already didnt know.

the answer to my question will be HOW i can check this. thankyou. it is a private number not a business the first four digits are 0753.

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello John,

People use such forwarding services specifically to hide their real numbers. Short of involving law enforcement or subpoenaing the information, you would not likely get this.

However, I will opt out and transfer this to our UK law section, where perhaps they will have a better idea.

Please do not bother to rate me since I appear to have told you only what you already knew.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thank you i will await an answer in due course by email , thank you. john

Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im still waiting for someone to get back to me regarding my question , for 27 bucks this is not what i expected.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
The number is XXXXX for security - can you reproduce it with gaps in the numbers?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok the number is XXXXX Seven. Five. Three.

Eight. Zero. Five. Four. Four. Nine. Six. Thanks. John

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thanks for that.
Who is meant to be the provider?
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

T mobile I am told

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

T mobile.UK.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HI
Unfortunately there is no way of checking for certain that the phone is being used in the UK - unless you wish to pay a great deal of money to do so by instructing a private investigator
From all that you have said it is highly unlikely that the phone is being used in Manchester and much more likely that you are the victim of a scam
I am sorry that I cannot assist in any other way to add to the information that you have
Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There must be a way to definativly check if this number is XXXXX diversion to another country.

I am well aware of all the Nigerian scams, who can give that information?

Since its not a privacy issue, I'm not asking for caller identity, or address, simply is it diverting overseas.

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi I am sorry that you feel my service was bad meaning that I get no credit for my time. ( and is not necessary for a refund)

I fully appreciate your frustration but I am afraid that what you are asking for is not possible unless you wish to pay substantial sums for it to be done by someone who has ways to access such information Claire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Claire, I know its not your rules, but what amazes me, every day the media, or the police, are pleading with the public not to get caught up in phone scams, especially, when they appear to eminate from Nigerian scammers.

There seems no way to ensure that the person you are talking to, is not a scammer, in other words the law protects these people, I just for the life of me can't understand why there isn't a regulatory body that you can approach, to protect your self, no wonder so many people get caught, and I'm still not sure about this one. Ragards john

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I understand your frustration - but in general terms the mere facts that you have outlined suggests a scam even without such a check.
Claire