Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi. Trying to trace 2.wills for Vivienne Gerroni & Jeffrey

Hi. Trying to trace 2.wills for Vivienne Gerroni & Jeffrey Gerroni Reg No GA. WL.071375/443 dated 1 november 1999,last held by Gilt Archival & Legal Services Ltd[dissolved 2006] previously held by JHD Associates[no longer trading]
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Are they United Kingdom Wills?

Are the persons deceased?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes,wills are UK wills.Persons not deceased.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Do you have their authority to be given a copy of the Wills?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have copies of wills.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Having a copy of the Wills does not give you authority to get the originals, or even be told by whoever actually holds them that they do actually hold them.

Are the testators (those who made the Wills) willling to let you find the Wills and give their authority to those holding them to release them to you?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, my wife and I are the testators,we want to know who holds the originals, we want to make amendments to them.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

I see.

This is the problem with using an archive company. When solicitors close down they are duty bound by solicitors conduct rules to contact the clients to ask if they want to take custody of their Wills or if they can’t find them in time before they close to contact the law society to advise that they are passing the Wills to another firm (usually a very local one. When a testator wishes to obtain their Will and realise the firm has closed they contact law society and are advised that another firm took the Wills.

An archive company should do this, but sometimes do not. I would suggest that you contact the solicitors regulatory authority to see if they were advised by the archive company about what was intended to happen to the Wills.

If they have no other information I really think that you should simply execute new Wills. It could cause a massive mess to unpick for your executors/beneficiaries in the event that you pass away whist trying to find them. You never know what may happen.

It’s massively frustrating of course and you have my sympathies, but if the solicitors regulatory authority have no information for you then your primary objective should be to execute new Wills immediately.

Sorry that I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor