Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am getting married in September, would like to invite circa

I am getting married in September, would like to invite circa 20 Russian nationals to the wedding who are friends and family of the bride. What sort of invitations do I need to send them, do they need to be on headed paper or just a personal letter from me with both my details and the info for the guests?
Also have a Russian national, married to a German but not with a full German passport visiting us in April, what visa would she need and where in Germany can she get it?!
Thanks
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

I presume that you are asking for the purpose of the visa applications that the Russian nationals will make in order to come to your wedding.

They will have to submit evidence of the wedding in order to verify the reason for the visa application.

The best way of dealing with this is to gather all the documentary evidence that you have about the wedding. Weddings invites for each, evidence of venue booking and evidence of catering (if any), including any receipts in respect of each. You should then take all of these with the passports and proof of address for both you and your fiancé to a local immigration solicitor.

You should ask them to draft a standard format Statutory Declaration for which the invitee’s name/address/date of birth can be entered. The rest of the document should explain who you are and that you are getting married and when it is to happen, stating specifically that the reason for executing the statutorty declaration is in support of the visa application. As evidence of this you should refer in the statement to the documentary evidence above and exhibit (ie. attach) them to the statutory declaration.

The solicitor will then swear the statutory declarations that you and your fiancé execute. These can then be sent to each invitee to attach with their visa application as evidence of their reason for applying for their visit visa.

It should cost around £150+ VAT to draft a template, but there will be a fair bit of copying in to do in addition to that so I would think the total overall costs would be around £300 + VAT.

The Russian national married to the german will still need to make a visit visa application, the husband is not coming here to exercise treaty rights so it does not make a difference to her status. She, and others, can find details on how to apply here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/general/apply/

Good luck with the wedding and congratulations!

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - the key bit is whether the invitation has to be on any headed/official paper or can I just provide all of the above on standard blank paper with the required details?
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

There is no requirement that the invitation must be on headed paper, but obviously it should be from you and your fiance and also give the relevant details of the wedding (date, venue, times etc).

It's the supporting documentation all together that convinces the UKBA caseworker of the legitimacy of the wedding, so any documentary evidence should be included and cumulatively helps to convince them.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor