How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am getting married in September, would like to invite circa

This answer was rated:

I am getting married in September, would like to invite circa 20 Russian nationals to the wedding who are friends and family of the bride. What sort of invitations do I need to send them, do they need to be on headed paper or just a personal letter from me with both my details and the info for the guests?
Also have a Russian national, married to a German but not with a full German passport visiting us in April, what visa would she need and where in Germany can she get it?!

Thanks for your patience.

I presume that you are asking for the purpose of the visa applications that the Russian nationals will make in order to come to your wedding.

They will have to submit evidence of the wedding in order to verify the reason for the visa application.

The best way of dealing with this is to gather all the documentary evidence that you have about the wedding. Weddings invites for each, evidence of venue booking and evidence of catering (if any), including any receipts in respect of each. You should then take all of these with the passports and proof of address for both you and your fiancé to a local immigration solicitor.

You should ask them to draft a standard format Statutory Declaration for which the invitee’s name/address/date of birth can be entered. The rest of the document should explain who you are and that you are getting married and when it is to happen, stating specifically that the reason for executing the statutorty declaration is in support of the visa application. As evidence of this you should refer in the statement to the documentary evidence above and exhibit (ie. attach) them to the statutory declaration.

The solicitor will then swear the statutory declarations that you and your fiancé execute. These can then be sent to each invitee to attach with their visa application as evidence of their reason for applying for their visit visa.

It should cost around £150+ VAT to draft a template, but there will be a fair bit of copying in to do in addition to that so I would think the total overall costs would be around £300 + VAT.

The Russian national married to the german will still need to make a visit visa application, the husband is not coming here to exercise treaty rights so it does not make a difference to her status. She, and others, can find details on how to apply here:-

Good luck with the wedding and congratulations!

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks - the key bit is whether the invitation has to be on any headed/official paper or can I just provide all of the above on standard blank paper with the required details?

There is no requirement that the invitation must be on headed paper, but obviously it should be from you and your fiance and also give the relevant details of the wedding (date, venue, times etc).

It's the supporting documentation all together that convinces the UKBA caseworker of the legitimacy of the wedding, so any documentary evidence should be included and cumulatively helps to convince them.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor