How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7581
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an American married to a British Citizen for more than

This answer was rated:

I am an American married to a British Citizen for more than 12 years and we have 3 kids. We currently live in Canada and would like to move the UK this year. Can I apply directly to ILR or I need to apply for ILE first? would you also explain more to me what is the difference between the two?

What is your annual income please?

What savings do you have?

There is a financial requirement..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I dont know how is this related to my question? I am not applying as an investor, but rather as a Family Settlement.




Thanks for your patience.

You cannot apply for ILR (indefinite leave to remain) because a change in the immigration rules took away the right for spouses of UK national to apply for this straight away on the basis of being married for 4 years.

This means that you will have to apply for Leave to Remain as the spouse of a UK national, which is effectively a spouse visa. Once you have been in the UK on this visa for 5 years you can apply for ILR (which is known commonly as “settlement”. Please refer to the following link for confirmation on this:-

However, you will have to apply to extend your visa before it expires to reach the 5 year period.

The reason I asked about your financials, is because there is a financial requirement now. You can find details of how you can meet this here:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you