Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am a landlord with 6 flats in one building .because the water

I am a landlord with 6 flats in one building .because the water pipes are split and supply some flats from 2 directions it will be impossible to meter each flat separately .Can I insist on being metered on the outside of the property and sharing the bill between the tenants
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. I will try to help with this.

What type of contract is it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

At the moment all tenants have there own bills based on there council tax band

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972 All flats are billed separately besed on council tax band.

Sorry I see what you are asking and I wouldn't know the answer to that.

I will find you somebody who can help.
Hi

What do the Leases on the property say about this?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THe tenants are responsible for their own bills at the moment.Are all these questions covered by my £22.

It does not cost you £22 for each time you reply no.

Are the flats let on short term tenancies OR have you granted long term (ie. 99 year) lease on them?

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Shorthold tenancies

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Your obligations under the tenancies are contained in the landlord and tenant act legislation. Probably your tenancy agreements will also state that you are obliged to provide the services and that the tenants are to pay for the supply.

Please refer the following link and you will see s11 (c) confirms your responsibility:-
http://www.tenancyagreementservice.co.uk/repairing-obligations.htm

This being the case, provided that you maintain the supply and do not overcharge the tenants for the supply there is no restriction on whether the meters you are permitted to install. However, you would not be able to charge the tenants for the costs of metering (if any) but you would, obviously, be able to charge them for the actual supply.

If it’s not viable to meter each flat separately then it’s not possible, simple as that and you can proceed on the basis of the next-best arrangement that gives the most accurate supply.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Am i entitled to insist that I am only metered once ,outside the building and can refuse to allow them to meter internally

Your responsibilities are contained in the above link and it does not say anything about permitted individual meters, so I would say that you are entitled to refuse.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor